We are open - safety is our top priority!
Voorhees, New Jersey, is located in Camden County, and it’s a suburb of Philadelphia. The township covers just less than 12 square miles, and it was founded in 1899. Although Voorhees had a quiet beginning as an agricultural community, a building boom after World War II contributed to Voorhees becoming a thriving suburb. Voorhees is a diverse township with a wide array of open spaces, restaurants, cultural attractions, and learning institutions.
South Jersey History
The Lenni-Lenape Nation was living in New Jersey originally, moving back and forth between the Atlantic Ocean during the summer and inland areas during the winter. European settlers found the land that would become New Jersey during the 1600s, and it became an English colony. Towns grew up around waterways, and the area that would become Voorhees was in the Waterford Woodlynne settlement. Wealthy families bought up the land in the area during the 1700s, and farms became prevalent. The railroad’s arrival during the mid-1800s spurred community growth around the rail stations. When Gov. Foster McGowan Voorhees gave his permission for Voorhees to be a new township in 1899, the residents decided to name it after the governor. The township continued to grow during the 20th century, with numerous resorts pulling in tourists. The post-World War II building boom was responsible for Voorhees becoming a bona fide suburb with a thriving school district, recreation, health care facilities, and commercial development.
- History of Voorhees
- Voorhees Township: Our History
- Voorhees Police Department History
- History of Our Schools
There are plenty of options for enjoying yourself in Voorhees, New Jersey. Attractions vary and include things to do both indoors and outdoors. The kids will love the outdoor attractions that involve fun and sun. Put a few indoor venues on your list of things to do, too.
- Sahara Sam’s water park is just four miles away from Voorhees in West Berlin. With both indoor and outdoor water parks at Sahara Sam’s, it’s always a great time to go splash in the water.
- The Voorhees Town Center is a shopper’s paradise. This massive mall has it all, and there’s even an indoor arcade to keep everyone happy. Play laser tag, go mini-golfing, or try the rides. A pleasing selection of restaurants is also inside the mall.
- Blueberry Hill Trail is a part of the South Jersey Trails network. Choose from two parking areas to access the trail that loops around woodlands, wetlands, and hills. The trail is dual-use, so expect to see both hikers and bikers.
- Golf Land in Voorhees offers miniature golf and pitch and putt, which is an ideal option for novices, seniors, and kids. The beautiful acreage will take your breath away, and the courses are open year-round.
Where to Eat in Voorhees
It’s not hard to find a good restaurant in Voorhees, regardless of your budget and tastes. From family eateries to pubs and upscale dining, Voorhees has something for everyone.
- Ristorante Fieni’s serves daily lunch and dinner with an Italian flair. The chef prepares old family recipes for an authentic Italian dining experience.
- Iron Hill Brewery & Restaurant offers both dine-in and takeout meals. Hearth-baked pizzas are a specialty, and many patrons drop in regularly for the brewhouse entrees like fish and chips and baby back ribs.
- Rodizio Grill specializes in authentic Brazilian food. Try grilled meats that are served table-side by the grill’s Brazilian gauchos. Unlimited gourmet salads and a predominantly gluten-free menu are also worth mentioning.
Where to Stay in Voorhees
Lodging in Voorhees Township is plentiful, and there’s something available for every budget. You’ll find a pleasing array of the well-known hotel chains as well as some locally owned accommodations. For those needing a suite, SpringHill Suites in Voorhees offers comfortable lodging. Staybridge Suites is another excellent choice, especially for those needing an extended stay.
Voorhees Township has warm and humid summers and very cold winters. The best time to visit Voorhees is between late July and late September. The hottest month in Voorhees is July, with an average high of 86 degrees Fahrenheit. Jan. 30 is typically the coldest day of the year, with an average high of 39 degrees Fahrenheit. The wettest months are April through August, and snow is common between November and April.
Visit Dental Arts of South Jersey for High-Quality Dental Care
Dental Arts of South Jersey is proud to serve the people of Voorhees by providing comprehensive dental care. We offer general dentistry services like cleanings and fillings as well as cosmetic dental solutions like whitening and veneers and advanced treatment options like oral surgery and dental implants. Book an appointment with a skilled dentist in Voorhees, NJ, today!